I take my responsibilities as a host very seriously, and I deplore this incident. I have been renting this apartment for nearly 17 years and I have never had a mouse problem.
This was a very unfortunate situation. I believe I dealt with it in the most professional, timely and friendly manner, as I always do.
Heather did not bother calling the emergency contact I had given her (I was out of town and she knew this). Instead she chose to go directly to Airbnb for arbitration, and asked for a full refund, even for the 10 days she had stayed without any complaints. I found this to be unnecessarily hostile. I offered to get a professional in the house as soon as possible to deal with the situation; I offered to pay for a cleaning lady to come and do another thorough clean of the apartment (one was done just prior to her arrival); I also offered to let Heather bring her cat in the apartment, to try and catch the mouse, even though I am allergic to cats and we clearly stated no pets was allowed in the apt. I apologized profusively to Heather. She refused any solutions, got her refund from airbnb and moved out.
We live in this apt with our own 4-year old daughter. It is not an empty apartment rented through airbnb for profit. The renter knew this. It is not a dangerous apartment either. I’ve had countless families living in this apartment before and not once has there been a complaint about safety. The bathroom door can be temperamental it is true, but older apartments tend to have idiosyncrasies. This was communicated to the renter before they moved in. We left our daughter’s toys for her children to play with; we provided a staircase safety gate as well; and let the family moved in a day earlier at no extra cost. The renter does not mention any of this in her review.
With all due respect to Heather and her family, their expectations are unrealistic. They should look for airbnb places not occupied by a resident, and certainly not in older houses. Or stay in a hotel.
The mouse problem will be promptly fixed.