The studio is a sun-filled, very spacious private room, in a separate building behind the main house with a South facing deck in front. Eileen & Joe, Bill's parents and "co-hosts", live above the guest room. Two friendly Australian Shepherds share the large flower & fruit tree filled yard.
Stay in a Fine Art Photographer’s modern studio, plus deck, on the edge of a wooded forest. The studio is a private unit, with its own entrance.
Located on a naturally landscaped property, with a main house and multiple outbuildings. The studio is a private modern, light filled, spacious room (750 sq ft), that occupies the lower level of a gambrel roof barn with a retired professor and his wife living on the second. On the deck, two teak chairs and teak café table overlook the large open garden.
The south and west light filled studio has natural wood trim, bamboo and natural linoleum floors, full bath shower/tub combo and studio lighting. The studio is perfect for 2 or 3 guests with a new king-size bed, futon couch, 2 comfortable chairs in the seating area as well as a small table and two chairs for reading, writing eating, etc. A microwave, mini-refrigerator, coffee-maker and electric kettle make simple meals possible. Coffee, tea, sugar and cream are provided by your host. A coat rack and suitcase stands offer space for your personal belongings. Free wi-fi is available. Sheets, towels, blankets, soap and shampoo are also provided.
The studio is located 20-minute walk/5-minute bike (bring your bikes!) from Main St. Fort Bragg where you’ll find shops, restaurants, and various cultural offerings, depending on the season. Mendocino Coast beaches, including Glass Beach and the Old Railroad Walk at Haul Road, as well as the extensive Botanical Gardens are a five-minute drive away. A leisurely coastal drive brings you to the heart of historic Mendocino Village, 20 minutes away. Enjoy wine-tasting, surfing, kayaking, or hiking at any time of year, or check in advance to find out which of the many festivals are happening before you visit (crab, mushroom, whale, film and music festivals, local history days, Paul Bunyan days, etc). Wind your way to the headlands, where you’ll look onto the dramatic glory of the Pacific Ocean.
For longer excursions, hike or bike in Van Damme State Park, Big River Estuary, Mendocino Headlands State Park, Russian Gulch State Park, Jughandle State Reserve Ecological Staircase, or the Pygmy Forests.
We're a 4 hour drive from San Francisco or Oakland airports (without traffic), and 2.5 hours from Santa Rosa. We are gay-friendly, tourist-friendly, family-friendly! Please let us know in advance if you have any special needs or requests to make your stay enjoyable.
Check-in is 4pm, check-out is 11 am. Let me know if you need a later departure or earlier arrival, and if we can, we will accommodate you.
We have a 2-night minimum policy, but feel free to request single nights during the winter or weekdays. We will generally be able to accommodate you.
Property and home is strictly smoke free and drug free.
Smoking and drug use is not allowed.
Strict no pet policy. (Except the ones that already live here.)
The 11% Mendocino County Bed Tax is included in the room rate.
Adgang for gæster
Deck and flower & fruit tree filled yard.
Andre ting, der er værd at bemærke
Some of the birds that have visited our yard:
Violet Green Swallow (nest in our bird houses), Cliff Swallows (nest under our eaves), Hummingbirds (several types), Goldfinches, Ravens, Redtail Hawks, House Finches, Robins, Varied Thrushes, Blue Jays, Stellar Jays, Mourning Doves, Pigeons, White Crowned Sparrows (a colony lives in yard), Fox Sparrows, Flickers, California Quail, to name a few.
1) The double futon couch can be made up as a bed upon request, for separate sleeping accommodations from the main bed. If you would prefer to set the bed up later, we can leave the linens etc. out, for you to accommodate yourselves.
2) Dishes are provided for simple meals, however we ask that any dishes with food residue NOT be rinsed in the bathroom sink or tub. We provide a stainless steel basin (inside the cabinet behind the entry door) which can be left outside the door and we will wash the dishes and return them. Bathroom drains have stoppers which when combined with food residue leads to plumbing problems. Rinsing coffee and tea cups is not a problem. Thanks!
3) Please hang wet towels on the towel rack over the toilet, on the towel rack next to the shower or over the shower curtain pole only. Thanks!
4) Please be gentle letting the blinds down. Blinds are delicate creatures if they are dropped hard.
5) When closing the blind on the door for privacy, remember to clip it into the hold down bracket. this ensures that it does not fly around when the door is opened and shut. Thank you!
6) The bank of cabinets on the North wall are locked and are for the hosts use only.
7) Please let us know if anything is not functioning or if you are having difficulty operating anything. We will be happy to help. This will also lets us know if something needs improvement or repair. Enjoy your stay!
We like to meet guests when they arrive just to say hi, show them around and see if they have any questions about where to eat or what to do in the area. We often check in with our guests in passing to make sure everything is going well, answer any questions or see if they would like any other suggestions for accessing whatever it is that they would like to see or do. We presume our guests are here to relax and enjoy themselves. We like to enhance that experience as much as possible!
Bill & Anne are native Northern Californians. Bill has lived in Ireland and Anne has lived in Spain, Italy & Mexico. Bill spent the last 20 years working as a fine art photographer and traveling as much as possible. Anne had a wholesale jewelry company with her sister and traveled to Mexico frequently, where her jewelry was handmade, as well as throughout the United States to exhibit at trade shows. Now we like to stay close to home, Anne particularly likes to be out working in our large garden. We still appreciate the spirit of travel and intend to stay connected to that through Airbnb. We have one daughter who is attending college in Nashville, Tennessee. We live with two lovable Australian Shepherds that spend the day in our yard.