Overall Loic’s AirBnB in Deshaies was a nice place to stay. There are a few things that I wish we’d known ahead of time, however.
1. This place is very difficult to find in the dark. Here is a dropped (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) maps pin of the direct location: (URL HIDDEN) If the pin I provided isn’t displayed use the (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) map location of Casa Stanislas and continue driving up the hill past it. The house is located at the next major split where a red fish sign indicates that Habitation Tendacayou is left at the split. DO NOT USE THE (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) MAPS LOCATION FOR HABITATION TENDACAYOU TO NAVIGATE. IT IS WRONG. The house will be on your right at the split and has yellow awnings, and as you pass it you can also see that it has a big maroon fence/gate. Our host indicated that a light in front of the house was broken, which further hindered our ability to find it.
2. The drive up to the house is fairly steep (also, if you didn’t already know you WILL need a car to stay here). Walking anywhere apart from Habitation Tendacayou would be a decent workout. That said, I highly recommend making a reservation and having dinner at Red Fish in Habitation Tendacayou one night. The food and drinks are outstanding- and it’s only a steep 5 minute walk uphill from Loic’s AirBnB.
3. Loic and his family do not speak any English. Totally and completely understandable, but this did not make finding the house any easier when we called them for help.
4. There is no hot water. Yes, the rain shower is nice as far as water pressure goes, but you will only obtain lukewarm water from it no matter what you try. We tried on several different days to get something hot to come out of it but it was impossible.
5. The bedroom area has a quite low ceiling, so tall folks would need to be ducking constantly to walk around.
Apart from those issues we had a great stay. The view from the bed is gorgeous, and it’s quite comfortable, although it could use a better full-sized blanket and some softer sheets. The kitchen has all appliances you could need, and the fridge came stocked with some welcome snacks. The back deck was wonderful to relax on in the evenings and watch the sunset.